Wednesday, July 3, 2024

From Shaman’s Rock

By Jim Poling Sr.

 

Readers of my weekly Minden Times column might notice that it is missing from the physical paper and Facebook this coming week. Thats because I have stopped writing for The Times.

 

Ive stopped because the paper told me that my J. K. Rowling column was insensitive to the LGBTQ2SPlus community due to JK Rowlings firm stance on the anti trans community. The newspaper leadership implied that the column should have said how Rowling has written and spoken out against the trans community.

 

Journalists write every day about newsmakers who have faults or prejudices but we don’t include those in every story we do on them. For instance, when Justin Trudeau announces a new feed-the-poor program we dont write Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who was scandalized for wearing blackface some years back, announced today . . . . 

 

Or, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who was accused of groping a female reporter, announced today . . . .

 

We do so when there is a direct connection with the story.

 

My Rowling column was about a well-known, very wealthy author who donates much of her income to charities. She is the UKs second most important charitable donor, following behind only the singer Elton John.

 

No readers had complained about the column, so the insensitive-to-trans concern came from within the newspaper. Thats disturbing.

 

People who work in newsrooms have opinions and the right to express them. But they should not use their personal opinions and feelings to influence how the news is reported. That is unprofessional.

 

I have been a professional journalist for six-plus decades. I cant allow myself to be connected to anything unprofessional. Thats why I will no longer write for the Times.

 

I will continue to write the From Shamans Rock column occasionally. For anyone interested it can be found at: https://onshamansrock.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment